Boris Kuvshinoff II, MD, MBA
Boris Kuvshinoff II, MD, MBA
I am the Chief Medical Officer at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. My primary interest is the diagnosis and treatment of tumors of the liver, pancreas, gallbladder, bile ducts, and stomach. Another major area of interest and experience is the treatment of neuroendocrine tumors, both carcinoid and pancreatic islet cell. I also have expertise in minimally invasive (laparoscopic) surgery to remove tumors of the liver and pancreas. This includes 15 years of experience in performing radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of liver tumors.
My research interests focus on surgical outcomes in liver and pancreas surgery, neuroendocrine tumors, and surgical simulation. I am currently a member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Pancreas Cancer Committee; this group continually updates treatment guidelines that help physicians manage patients with pancreatic cancer.
I am a member of American College of Physician Executives, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, American College of Surgeons, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association and Society of Surgical Oncology. I serve as a peer-reviewer for Annals of Surgical Oncology, the Journal of Surgical Oncology, and World Journal of Surgery. I have authored or co-authored more than 120 journal articles, abstracts, books, and book chapters, and have given numerous presentations around the country concerning gastrointestinal cancers.
- Kulke MH, Benson III AB, Bergsland E, Berlin JD, Blaszkowsky LS, Choti MA, Clark OH, Doherty GM, Eason J, Emerson L, Engstrom PF, Goldner WS, Heslin MJ, Kandeel F, Kunz PL, Kuvshinoff II BW, Moley JF, Pillarisetty VG, Saltz L, Schteingart DE, Shah MH, Shibata S, Strosberg JR, Vauthey J-N, White R, Yao JC.Neuroendocrine tumors. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2012;106:724-764
- May KS, Javle MM, Gibbs JF, Kuvshinoff BW, Fakih M, Russo RC, Flaherty L, Ma WW, Iyer RV, Wilding GE, Chandrasekhar R, Khushalani NI, Yang GY. Analysis of clinical and dosimetric factors associated with change in renal function in patients with gastrointestinal malignancies after chemoradiation to the abdomen. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 2010; 764:1193-1198
- Tempero MA , Kuvshinoff II BW , Malafa MP , Muscarella II P , Nakakura EK , Sasson AR , Thayer SP , Tyler DS , Warren RS , Whiting S , Willett C , Hoffman JP , Hawkins WG , Arnoletti JP , Behrman S , Ben-Josef E , Benson III AB , Berlin JD , Cameron JL , Casper ES , Cohen SJ , Duff M , Ellenhorn JDI , Wolff RA. Pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2010; 89:972-1017
- Javle M, Yu J, Garrett C, Pande A, Kuvshinoff B, Litwin A, Phelan J, Gibbs J, Iyer R. Bevacizumab combined with gemcitabine and capecitabine for advanced pancreatic cancer: a phase II study. British journal of cancer 2009; 10012:1842-1845
- Chadha MK, Javle MM, Kuvshinoff B, Gibbs JF, Raczyk C, Litwin A, Wilding GE, Mashtare T, Lombardo J, Iyer RV. High-dose octreotide acetate for management of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Anticancer research 2009; 2910:4127-4130
- Bharthuar A, Pearce L, Litwin A, LeVea C, Kuvshinoff B, Iyer R. Metastatic pancreatic adenocarcinoma and renal cell carcinoma treated with gemcitabine and sunitinib malate. A case report. JOP : Journal of the pancreas 2009; 105:523-527
- Douglas WG, Wang Y, Gibbs JF, Tracy E, Kuvshinoff B, Huntoon K, Baumann H. Proinflammatory cytokines increase hepatocellular carcinoma cells thermotolerance: evidence of how local inflammation may negatively impact radiofrequency ablation local control rates. Journal of surgical research 2008; 1501:118-124
- Iyer RV, Gibbs J, Kuvshinoff B, Fakih M, Kepner J, Soehnlein N, Lawrence D, Javle MM. A phase II study of gemcitabine and capecitabine in advanced cholangiocarcinoma and carcinoma of the gallbladder: a single-institution prospective study. Annals of surgical oncology 2007; 1411:3202-3209
- Agrawal S, Kuvshinoff BW, Khoury T, Yu J, Javle MM, LeVea C, Groth J, Coignet LJ, Gibbs JF. CD24 expression is an independent prognostic marker in cholangiocarcinoma. Journal of gastrointestinal surgery 2007; 114:445-451
- Foster J, Black J, LeVea C, Khoury T, Kuvshinoff B, Javle M, Gibbs JF. COX-2 expression in hepatocellular carcinoma is an initiation event; while EGF receptor expression with downstream pathway activation is a prognostic predictor of survival. Annals of surgical oncology 2007; 142:752-758
- Foster JM, Hoshi H, Gibbs JF, Iyer R, Javle M, Chu Q, Kuvshinoff B. Gallbladder cancer: Defining the indications for primary radical resection and radical re-resection. Annals of surgical oncology 2007;142:833-840
- Guru KA, Kuvshinoff BW, Pavlov-Shapiro S, Bienko MB, Aftab MN, Brady WE, Mohler JL. Impact of robotics and laparoscopy on surgical skills: A comparative study. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2007; 2041:96-101
- Willett C, Tempero M, Muscarella II P, Nakakura EK, Sasson AR, Shibata S, Shrieve DC, Talamonti M, Tyler DS, Wang H, Warren RS, Willett C, Malafa MP, Kuvshinoff B, Koh W-J, Alasadi R, Arnoletti JP, Behrman S, Ben-Josef E, Benson III AB, Bhargava P, Cameron JL, Casper ES, Hoffman JP, Kim P, Wolff RA.Pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2007; 510:998-1033
- Kuvshinoff B, Fong Y. Surgical therapy of liver metastases. Seminars in oncology 2007; 343:177-185