Dr. Bambach is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplantation
Special Interests:Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in children
About Barbara Bambach
My name is Dr. Barbara Bambach and I’m a pediatric hematologist-oncologist with a specialization in leukemia and lymphomas. I currently serve as the Clinical Director of the Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Program at Roswell Park. My special interest is hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in children.
As the transplant physician, I oversee all bone marrow transplants (BMT). In our new Children’s Hospital, we have opened up our pediatric bone marrow transplant services to include children of all ages. This expands our ability to transplant patients with immune disorders, metabolic disorders, and diseases like sickle cell. Performing the bone marrow transplants within Children’s Hospital ensures that all the necessary pediatric support services and specialists are in one place for your child.
In addition to my role as transplant physician at Roswell Park, I oversee clinical trials for pediatric leukemia and BMT patients at Roswell Park. These studies are sponsored by the Children’s Oncology Group and the BMT Clinical Trials Network, which are research organizations supported by the National Cancer Institute. I also focus on quality initiatives such as reducing wait time during chemotherapy, ensuring that our patients receive the highest quality care.
I am board-certified in both pediatrics and pediatric hematology-oncology by the American Board of Pediatrics. I earned my medical degree at Jacobs School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo (UB) in Buffalo, NY. I completed my residency at Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, D.C. and my fellowship at John Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD.
I’m also an Associate Professor of Oncology in the Department of Pediatrics and a Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Jacobs School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- Department of Pediatric Oncology
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo
- Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Education and Training:
- MD - State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, American Board of Pediatrics
Featured on Cancer Talk
- Kang PB, Lidov HG, White AJ, Mitchell M, Balasubramanian A, Estrella E, Bennett RR, Darras BT, Shapiro FD, Bambach BJ, Kurtzberg J, Gussoni E, Kunkel LM. Inefficient dystrophin expression after cord blood transplantation in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Muscle Nerve. 2010 Jun;41(6):746-50. doi: 10.1002/mus.21702. PMID: 20513101; PMCID: PMC2965738.
- Ali L, Bambach BJ, Kozielski R, Wagner H, Lele S, Mhawech-Fauceglia P. Ovarian yolk sac tumor associated with major fibrosarcoma component in a 13-year-old girl. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2010 May;29(3):252-5. doi: 10.1097/PGP.0b013e3181c29838. PMID: 20407325.
- Gil M, Bieniasz M, Wierzbicki A, Bambach BJ, Rokita H, Kozbor D. Targeting a mimotope vaccine to activating Fcgamma receptors empowers dendritic cells to prime specific CD8+ T cell responses in tumor-bearing mice. J Immunol. 2009 Nov 15;183(10):6808-18. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.0900364. Epub 2009 Oct 21. PMID: 19846865; PMCID: PMC2805007.
- Benekli M, Smiley SL, Younis T, Czuczman MS, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri F, Bambach B, Battiwalla M, Padmanabhan S, McCarthy PL Jr, Hahn T. Intensive conditioning regimen of etoposide (VP-16), cyclophosphamide and carmustine (VCB) followed by autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for relapsed and refractory Hodgkin's lymphoma. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2008 Apr;41(7):613-9. doi: 10.1038/sj.bmt.1705951. Epub 2007 Dec 10. PMID: 18071290.
- Kowalczyk A, Wierzbicki A, Gil M, Bambach B, Kaneko Y, Rokita H, Repasky E, Fenstermaker R, Brecher M, Ciesielski M, Kozbor D. Induction of protective immune responses against NXS2 neuroblastoma challenge in mice by immunotherapy with GD2 mimotope vaccine and IL-15 and IL-21 gene delivery. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2007 Sep;56(9):1443-58. doi: 10.1007/s00262-007-0289-0. Epub 2007 Feb 14. PMID: 17597331.
- Gupta S, Almyroudis NG, Battiwalla M, Bambach BJ, McCarthy PL, Proefrock AD, Ball D, Paplham P, Varma A, Kwon-Chung J, Segal BH. Successful treatment of disseminated fusariosis with posaconazole during neutropenia and subsequent allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Transpl Infect Dis. 2007 Jun;9(2):156-60. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-3062.2006.00189.x. PMID: 17462004.