As Assistant Professor of Oncology at the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, I joined Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center in July of 2019. In addition to leading my independent research program, I serve as the Associate Director for Pharmacokinetics & Pharmacodynamics at the BMPK Shared Resource to handle requests for PK/PD analyses of anticancer drugs.
After obtaining my PharmD degree at Utrecht University in the Netherlands in 2008, I started my PhD research on clinical herb-drug interactions in oncology at the Department of Pharmacoepidemiology and Clinical Pharmacology at Utrecht University in the Netherlands. Under the supervision of Irma Meijerman, PhD, Jan Schellens MD, PhD, and Jos Beijnen, PharmD, PhD, I coordinated several Phase I interaction studies and developed LC-MS/MS assays for quantification of herbal components in human matrices. During my PhD project, I also obtained board certification as a Clinical Pharmacologist issued by the Dutch Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Biopharmacy.
When I completed my PhD thesis in 2013, I joined the National Cancer Institute (Bethesda, MD) for a postdoctoral fellowship at the Clinical Pharmacology Program headed by Doug Figg, PharmD. As a postdoc, I focused on several translational projects including pharmacogenetic analyses of the HDAC inhibitor belinostat and preclinical drug development of marine sponge compounds as potential anti-angiogenesis agents.
In 2016, I moved back to the Netherlands to start a hospital pharmacy residency program at Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, which I combined with a postdoc position at the Personalized Medicine group of Ron Mathijssen, MD, PhD. From 2016-2019 I focused on pharmacogenetic analyses of anticancer drugs, such as vemurafenib and irinotecan. Being convinced of the value of pharmacogenetics for optimizing anticancer therapy, I look forward to exploring this field further at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Associate Director, Pharmacokinetics & Pharmacodynamics, BMPK Shared Resource
Education and Training:
- 2008-2013 - PhD - Pharmacokinetic Interactions between Herbal Supplements and Anticancer Drugs, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
- 2002-2008 - PharmD - Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
- 2016-2019 - Postdoctoral fellow, Personalized Medicine group, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- 2013-2016 - Postdoctoral fellow, Clinical Pharmacology Program, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD
- 2006-2007 - Research fellow, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA
- 2014 - Clinical Pharmacologist, Dutch Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Biopharmacy (NVKFB)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics (ASCPT)
- Dutch Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Biopharmacy (NVKFB)
Honors & Awards:
- 2016 - Fellows Award for Research Excellence (FARE), National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD