Steven Hochwald, MD, FACS
Areas of Expertise:
Small intestine cancer
Design, synthesis and evaluation of novel selective inhibitors of FAK and IGF-1R function in cancer.
Targeted, image guided release of combinatorial FAK inhibitors in pancreatic cancer.
Novel agents that target FAK and IGF-1R protein interactions.
FAK and IGF-1R interactions in pancreatic cancer survival.
Nanoparticle directed therapy for GI malignancy.
Technical advances in minimally invasive esophagectomy and minimally invasive gastr.ectomy
Outcomes for patients undergoing surgical therapy for upper gastrointestinal cancers.
Education and Training:
MD, New York University School of Medicine
1996-1997: Executive Chief Resident: New York University Medical Center, Department of Surgery
1991-1996: Resident, New York University Medical Center, Categorical General Surgery Housestaff in Department of Surgery
1998: American Board of Surgery, recertification: 2008
1997-1999: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Department of Surgery
1993-1995: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, Surgical Metabolism Laboratory, under Michael Burt, M.D., Ph.D., and Murray F. Brennan, M.D.
Honors and Awards:
1981 Finalist, National Westinghouse Science Competition
1985 Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society: Johns Hopkins University
1993-5: NCI National Research Service Award
1996 New York University Housestaff award for scholarship
1997 SSAT / Ross Laboratory presentation
1999 SSAT / Ross Laboratory presentation
2001 University of Florida Lester Dragstedt Physician-Scientist Award
2002 University of Florida Lester Dragstedt Physician-Scientist Award
2005 University of Florida, Dept. of Surgery Research Career Development Award
2005-2007, 2009, 2011 Best Doctors in America
2007 Commission on Cancer: Cancer Liaison Physician Outstanding Performance Award
2008 The Edward M. Copeland Professor of Surgical Oncology at University of Florida
2008 Florida State Chair, Commission on Cancer
- A novel strategy to inhibit FAK and IGF-1R decreases growth of pancreatic cancer xenografts. Molecular carcinogenesis 2010; 49(2):200-209 .
- A multi-institutional experience of isolated limb infusion: defining response and toxicity in the US. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2009; 208(5):706-715; discussion 715-7 .
- A novel small molecule inhibitor of FAK decreases growth of human pancreatic cancer. Cell cycle (Georgetown, Tex.) 2009; 8(15):2435-2443 .
- Predictive factors of regional toxicity and serum creatine phosphokinase levels after isolated limb infusion for melanoma: a multi-institutional analysis. Annals of surgical oncology 2009; 16(9):2570-2578 .
- Targeting of the protein interaction site between FAK and IGF-1R. Biochemical and biophysical research communications 2009; 388(2):301-305 .
- A novel small molecule inhibitor of FAK and IGF-1R protein interactions decreases growth of human esophageal carcinoma. Anti-cancer agents in medicinal chemistry 2011; 11(7):629-637 .
- Effect of a novel FAK inhibitor targeted to the binding site of VEGFR3 on pancreatic cancer proliferation in vitro and in vivo : 2011 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium. Journal of clinical oncology 2011; 29(4 Suppl.):214 .
- Is there an indication for initial conservative management of pancreatic cystic lesions? . Journal of surgical oncology 2009; 100(5):372-374 .
- A pilot prospective randomized trial of postoperative epoetin alfa in patients undergoing major operation for upper gastrointestinal malignancy. American journal of clinical oncology 2009; 32(6):570-573 .
- Is there a role for routine use of MRI in selection of patients for breast-conserving cancer therapy? . Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2008; 206(5):1045-1050; discussion 1050-1052 .
- FAK as a target for cancer therapy. Gene therapy and molecular biology 2009; 13(1):26-35 .
- FAK and IGF-IR interact to provide survival signals in human pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells. Carcinogenesis 2008; 29(6):1096-1107 .
- Is endoscopic resection of gastric gastrointestinal stromal tumors safe? . American surgeon 2008; 74(12):1186-1189 .
- Elevated expression of IRS2 in the progression from neurofibroma to malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor. Anticancer research 2012; 32(2):439-443 .
- A novel therapeutic strategy for malignancy: Specific disruption of FAK and IGF-1R interaction with a small molecule compound . Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2010; 51:Abstract #2538 .
- Esophagectomy in the state of Florida: is regionalization of care warranted?. American surgeon 2012; 78(3):291-295 .
- Decreasing morbidity and mortality in 100 consecutive minimally invasive esophagectomies. Surgical endoscopy 2012; 26(1):162-167 .
- DNA methyltransferase inhibitor, zebularine, delays tumor growth and induces apoptosis in a genetically engineered mouse model of breast cancer. Molecular cancer therapeutics 2012; 11(2):370-382 .
- Altered LKB1/CREB-regulated transcription co-activator (CRTC) signaling axis promotes esophageal cancer cell migration and invasion. Oncogene 2012; 31(4):469-479 .
- Multimodality local therapy for retroperitoneal sarcoma. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 2012; 82(3):1128-1134 .
- Malignant transformation of a pancreatic serous cystadenoma. American surgeon 2012; 78(2):260-263 .
- A multi-institutional experience of repeat regional chemotherapy for recurrent melanoma of extremities. Annals of surgical oncology 2012; 19(5):1637-1643 .
- Re:"percutaneous needle vs surgical breast biopsy: previous allegations of overuse of surgery are in error". Journal of the American College of Radiology : JACR 2012; 9(5):373-374; author reply 374-375 .
- Disruption of the protein interaction between FAK and IGF-1R inhibits melanoma tumor growth. Cell cycle (Georgetown, Tex.) 2012; 11(17):3250-3259 .