Shashikant Lele, MD, FACOG
Areas of Expertise:
Uterine fibroid tumors
Gynecologic oncology group studies involving clinical and scientific research
Ovarian cancer surgery
Ovarian cancer chemotherapy
Education and Training:
MD - Grant Medical College, University of Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
JJ Hospital-Grant Medical College, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mount Sinai Hospital, Cleveland, OH
Obstetrics & Gynecology, American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Gynecologic Oncology, American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY
- Ovarian yolk sac tumor associated with major fibrosarcoma component in a 13-year-old girl. International journal of gynecological pathology 2010; 29(3):252-255 .
- Tumor lysis syndrome associated with carboplatin and paclitaxel in a woman with recurrent endometrial cancer. International journal of gynaecology and obstetrics 2010; 109(3):254 .
- High cumulative doses of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin are not associated with cardiac toxicity in patients with gynecologic malignancies. Chemotherapy 2010; 56(2):108-111 .
- Tumor-infiltrating NY-ESO-1-specific CD8+ T cells are negatively regulated by LAG-3 and PD-1 in human ovarian cancer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2010; 107(17):7875-7880 .
- Adjuvant vaginal brachytherapy alone for high risk localized endometrial cancer as defined by the three major randomized trials of adjuvant pelvic radiation. Gynecologic oncology 2010; 116(3):404-407 .
- IMP3 distinguishes uterine serous carcinoma from endometrial endometrioid adenocarcinoma. American journal of clinical pathology 2010; 133(6):899-908 .
- Primary vaginal adenocarcinoma arising in vaginal adenosis after CO2 laser vaporization and 5-fluorouracil therapy. International journal of gynecological pathology 2010; 29(2):193-196 .
- Novel genetic variants in miR-191 gene and familial ovarian cancer. BMC cancer 2010; 10 :47 .
- Endometrial stromal sarcoma: Analysis of recurrence following adjuvant treatment. Gynecologic oncology 2010; 116(3 Suppl. 1):228 .
- Uterine serous carcinoma: Increased familial risk for pancreatic cancer and other Lynch-associated malignancies. Gynecologic oncology 2010; 116(3 Suppl. 1):14 .
- Instituting a robot-assisted surgery programme at a tertiary care cancer centre. International journal of medical robotics and computer assisted surgery 2010; 6(3):330-333 .
- Expression of poly(adenosine diphosphate-ribose) polymerase (PARP) and p53 in epithelial ovarian cancer. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2010; 51:192 .
- Evaluation of the role of routine surveillance following treatment of early-stage cervical cancer. Gynecologic oncology 2010; 116(3 Suppl. 1):90 .
- Dendritic cells loaded with WT-1 and lipid A in a cationic liposome promote tumor immunity in a mouse model of ovarian cancer. Reproductive sciences (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) 2010; 17(3 Suppl.):1013 .
- Prognostic factors in stages II/III/IV and stages III/IV endometrioid and serous adenocarcinoma of the endometrium. European journal of surgical oncology 2010; 36(12):1195-1201 .
- Microarray analysis reveals distinct gene expression profiles among different tumor histology, stage and disease outcomes in endometrial adenocarcinoma. PloS one 2010; 5(11):e15415 .
- The use of cod liver oil by patients receiving pegylated liposomal doxorubicin is associated with a lack of severe palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia. European journal of gynaecological oncology 2009; 30(4):387-388 .
- Vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia 3 in women less than 35 years. Journal of lower genital tract disease 2009; 13(4):196-199 .
- Deep depletion of abundant serum proteins reveals low-abundant proteins as potential biomarkers for human ovarian cancer. Proteomics. Clinical applications 2009; 3(7):853-861 .
- Microsatellite instability in large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma of the female genital tract. Histopathology 2009; 55(5):621-625 .
- 14-3-3sigma Expression and Prognostic Value in Patients with Epithelial Ovarian Carcinoma: a High Throughput Tissue Microarray Analysis. European journal of surgical oncology 2009; 35(7):763-767 .
- Submission of the entire lymph node dissection for histologic examination in gynecologic-oncologic specimens. Clinical and pathologic relevance. Gynecologic oncology 2009; 115(3):354-356 .
- Efficacy of levo-1-methyl tryptophan and dextro-1-methyl tryptophan in reversing indoleamine-2,3-dioxygenase-mediated arrest of T-cell proliferation in human epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer research 2009; 69(13):5498-5504 .
- Complex segregation analysis of pedigrees from the Gilda Radner Familial Ovarian Cancer Registry reveals evidence for mendelian dominant inheritance. PloS one 2009; 4(6):e5939 .
- Treatment of early-stage uterine papillary serous carcinoma at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, 1992-2006. Gynecologic oncology 2009; 115(2):249-256 .
- Expression and serum immunoreactivity of developmentally restricted differentiation antigens in epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer immunity 2009; 9:6 .
- Expression of poly (adenosine diphosphate-ribose) polymerase and p53 in epithelial ovarian cancer and their role in prognosis and disease outcome. International journal of gynecological pathology 2011; 30(2):139-144 .
- Gene expression profiles in stage I uterine serous carcinoma in comparison to grade 3 and grade 1 stage I endometrioid adenocarcinoma. PloS one 2011; 6(3):e18066 .
- Epithelial ovarian cancer. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2011; 9(1):82-113 .
- Association between global DNA hypomethylation in leukocytes and risk of ovarian cancer. Gynecologic oncology 2011; 121(1 Suppl.):100 .
- Evaluation of the outcome benefit conferred by intensive surveillance strategies in women with early-stage endometrial cancer. Gynecologic oncology 2011; 121(1 Suppl.):25 .
- The transforming growth factor beta signaling pathway in endometrial cancer: Expression and clinical significance. Gynecologic oncology 2011; 121(1 Suppl.):223 .
- Female adnexal tumor of probable Wolffian origin (FATWO) with recurrence 3 years postsurgery. International journal of gynecological pathology 2011; 30(3):231-235 .
- Differentially Expressed Genes in Early Stages Uterine Serous Carcinomas in Comparison to G3 and G1 Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma. Laboratory investigation 2011; 91(Suppl. 1):1139 .
- The use of bevacizumab in refractory ovarian granulosa-cell carcinoma with symptomatic relief of ascites: a case report. Gynecologic oncology 2008; 111(3):527-529 .
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the vulva in a young woman with Crohn's disease. European journal of gynaecological oncology 2008; 29(6):651-652 .
- Recognition of naturally processed and ovarian cancer reactive CD8+ T cell epitopes within a promiscuous HLA class II T-helper region of NY-ESO-1. Cancer immunology, immunotherapy : CII 2008; 57(8):1185-1195 .
- Intraobserver and interobserver variability in distinguishing between endocervical and endometrial adenocarcinoma on problematic cases of cervical curettings. International journal of gynecological pathology 2008; 27(3):431-436 .
- Array-comparative genomic hybridization analysis of primary endometrial and ovarian high-grade neuroendocrine carcinoma associated with adenocarcinoma: mystery resolved? . International journal of gynecological pathology 2008; 27(4):539-546 .
- The use of array-based comparative genomic hybridization (a-CGH) to distinguish metastatic from primary synchronous carcinomas of the ovary and the uterus. Histopathology 2008; 53(4):490-495 .
- Cervical cancer screening. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2008; 6(1):58-82 .
- A functional polymorphism in the miR-146a gene and age of familial breast/ovarian cancer diagnosis. Carcinogenesis 2008; 29(10):1963-1966 .
- Adenocarcinoma arising from chronic perianal Crohn's disease: case report and review of the literature. American surgeon 2008; 74(1):59-61 .
- Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the endometrium: a case report. European journal of gynaecological oncology 2008; 29(5):527-530 .
- Differential expression of CCR7 defines two distinct subsets of human memory CD4+CD25+ Tregs. Clinical immunology (Orlando, Fla.) 2008; 126(3):291-302 .
- Vaccination with an NY-ESO-1 peptide of HLA class I/II specificities induces integrated humoral and T cell responses in ovarian cancer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2007; 104(31):12837-12842 .
- Prostate-derived Ets factor is overexpressed in serous epithelial ovarian tumors. International journal of gynecological pathology 2007; 26(1):10-15 .
- Young patients with endometrial carcinoma selected for conservative treatment: a need for vigilance for synchronous ovarian carcinomas, case report and literature review. Gynecologic oncology 2007; 104(3):757-760 .
- Characterization of a putative ovarian oncogene, elongation factor 1alpha, isolated by panning a synthetic phage display single-chain variable fragment library with cultured human ovarian cancer cells. Clinical cancer research 2007; 13(19):5889-5896 .
- Clinical and pathological predictive factors in women with adult-type granulosa cell tumor of the ovary. International journal of gynecological pathology 2007; 26(2):154-159 .
- Array-based comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH) analysis is a useful tool for distinguishing primary pulmonary from metastatic neuroendocrine carcinoma to the lung. Applied immunohistochemistry and molecular morphology : AIMM 2008; 16(3):291-295 .
- Prostate-specific membrane antigen expression is a potential prognostic marker in endometrial adenocarcinoma. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers and prevention 2008; 17(3):571-577 .
- Malignant mixed mullerian tumor of primary peritoneal origin. Annals of diagnostic pathology 2011; 15(4):273-277 .
- Expression and clinical significance of the transforming growth factor-beta signalling pathway in endometrial cancer. Histopathology 2011; 59(1):63-72 .
- NADPH Oxidase Modulates the Development of Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells (MDSCs) in Ovarian Cancer Tumor-Bearing Hosts. Reproductive sciences (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) 2011; 18(3):290A .
- Evaluation of the role of premetrexed in the treatment of refractory, recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer : ASCO Meeting Abstracts Part 1. Journal of clinical oncology 2011; 29(15 Suppl.):e15519 .
- High distant failure rate despite good local control in high risk early stage endometrial cancer. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics 2008; 72(1 Suppl.):S366 .
- Evaluation of cardiac safety in patients with gynecologic malignancies receiving high cumulative doses of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin. Gynecologic oncology 2009; 112(2 Suppl. 1):114 .
- Indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase inhibition abrogates induction of regulatory T cells and promotes survival of ovarian tumor-bearing hosts. Gynecologic oncology 2009; 112(2 Suppl. 1):220 .
- PSMA mRNA and protein expression as potential prognostic markers in endometrial adenocarcinoma. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2007; 48:95-96 .
- A phase II, pharmacokinetic (PK), and pharmacodynamic (PD) study of weekly docetaxel (DOC) in patients with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer. Journal of clinical oncology 2009; 27(15 Suppl.):Abstract #e16531 .
- Inhibition of IDO Abrogates Induction of Tregs and Promotes Survival of Ovarian Tumor Bearing Hosts. Reproductive sciences (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) 2009; 16(3 Suppl.):71 .
- Inhibition of Serine-Arginine Protein Kinase 1 (SRPK1) Overcomes Platinum Resistance in Ovarian Cancer. Reproductive sciences (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) 2009; 16(3 Suppl.):283 .
- Tryptophan degradation by indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase promotes preferential accumulation of CD4(+)CD25(high)FOXP3(+) regulatory T cells in human ovarian cancer. Gynecologic oncology 2008; 108(3 Suppl. 1):338 .
- A molecular genetic approach using array comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH) analysis in distinguishing synchronous versus metastatic carcinoma arising concurrently in the ovary and the endometrium. Laboratory investigation 2008; 88(Suppl. 1):220A (Abstract #1005) .
- The natural killer T-cell ligand alpha-C-galactosylceramide promotes ovarian cancer survival by dual regulation of the adaptive host immunity. Gynecologic oncology 2007; 104(3 Suppl. 1):S21-S22 .
- BORIS and FATE co-expression is a prognostic indicator in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic oncology 2008; 108(3 Suppl. 1):195 .
- Platinum, adriamycin and VP-16 versus paclitaxel and carboplatin for treatment of advanced or recurrent endometrial carcinoma. Gynecologic oncology 2009; 112(2 Suppl. 1):121 .
- Weight loss after surgery impacts overall survival in epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic oncology 2008; 108(3 Suppl. 1):347 .
- Developmentally restricted differentiation antigens in ovarian cancer. Gynecologic oncology 2009; 112(2 Suppl. 1):364 .
- Prospective analysis of chemotherapy-induced neuropathy in patients with gynecologic malignancies : ASCO Meeting Abstracts Part 1. Journal of clinical oncology 2011; 29(15 Suppl.):e19737 .
- Decreased levels of serum glutathione peroxidase 3 are associated with papillary serous ovarian cancer and disease progression. Journal of ovarian research 2011; 4:18 .
- Intracranial meningiomas in patients with uterine sarcoma treated with long-term megestrol acetate therapy. World neurosurgery 2011; 76(5):477.e16-477.e20 .
- Claudin7 and moesin in endometrial Adenocarcinoma; a retrospective study of 265 patients. BMC research notes 2012; 5 :65 .
- Evaluation of microRNA expression profiles and their associations with risk alleles in lymphoblastoid cell lines of familial ovarian cancer. Carcinogenesis 2012; 33(3):604-612 .
- Adjuvant treatment for uterine leiomyosarcoma. Gynecologic oncology 2012; 125(Suppl. 1):S159 .
- Endometrial stromal sarcoma: analysis of recurrence following adjuvant treatment. Gynecologic oncology 2012; 125(1):141-144 .
- Uterine serous carcinoma: increased familial risk for lynch-associated malignancies. Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.) 2012; 5(3):435-443 .
- Photodynamic therapy effectively palliates gynecologic malignancies. Gynecologic oncology 2012; 125(Suppl. 1):S81 .
- Efficacy of vaccination with recombinant vaccinia and fowlpox vectors expressing NY-ESO-1 antigen in ovarian cancer and melanoma patients. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2012; 109(15):5797-5802 .
- Identification of a subset of stage IV ovarian carinomas with improved overall survival. Gynecologic oncology 2012; 125(Suppl. 1):S102 .
- Pair Box 8 (PAX8) protein expression in high grade, late stage (stages III and IV) ovarian serous carcinoma. Gynecologic oncology 2012; 127(1):198-201 .
- Pair-Box (PAX8) protein-positive expression is associated with poor disease outcome in women with endometrial cancer. British journal of cancer 2012; 107(2):370-374 .
- The role of hypoxic-inducible factor (HIF1α) and aldolaseC protein in endometrial carcinogenesis: a retrospective study of 279 patients. BMJ open 2012; 2(4):e001450 .