Before Leaving Home Checklist
- If you are having outpatient surgery and expect to be leaving the same day as you have your procedure, you will need a responsible adult to drive you home afterwards. Your procedure will be cancelled if you do not have a responsible adult to drive you home. Notify the nurse in your clinic if you have problems making arrangements and the Department of Social Work will try to assist you.
- Do not use any deodorant, powder, or lotions after bathing or showering.
- Remove all make up, nail polish, contact lenses, rings, piercings, and other jewelry.
- Take medication(s) approved by your doctor with a small sip of water.
- You may brush your teeth and rise with mouthwash, however, avoid swallowing any water or mouthwash.
- If you have allergies or have had problems with anesthesia in the past, tell your physician and nurse.
- Only 2 visitors are allowed on 3 West, children under 18 are not permitted.
What to Pack
- Your Health Insurance ID Card
- Your Roswell Park “Green Card”: In a previous visit to Roswell Park, you received a “Green Card” that identifies you as a patient. Please remember to bring that card with you on the day of your surgery.
- A List of Your Allergies: It is important for your health care team to know if you have any allergies, especially allergies to latex, iodine, or seafood.
- A List of Your Current Medications
- A Copy of Your Health Care Proxy Form, Advance Directive, or Living Will: A Health Care Proxy form allows you to appoint a trusted relative or friend to make health care decisions for you if you lose the ability to make those decisions yourself. An Advance Directive or Living Will allows you to specify your health care preferences. If you do not have these documents and would like information about them, speak with Patient Access staff.
- Personal Items: Bring only those items that you will need during your hospital stay. This may include a nightgown or pajamas, robe, slippers, toiletry items (toothbrush, toothpaste, shaver, soap, etc.), and reading materials.
- Do not bring any money, credit cards, valuables or jewelry to the hospital. (If you forget, give it to family or friends, or ask the registration clerk for help.
- Please arrive at the hospital at your assigned time.
At the main entrance to the hospital, your driver may ask a valet to park their car so they can accompany you into the hospital. There is no additional charge for valet parking. Wheelchairs are available at the main entrance. Patients, or the family members or friends who accompany them, may obtain a parking discount. To receive this discount, have your parking ticket validated at the Information Desk in the lobby on the ground floor.
No Smoking Please
Roswell Park Cancer Institute recognizes tobacco use as the most important preventable cause of cancer. In accordance with our mission to provide total care to our patients, smoking is prohibited on the entire Institute campus.