Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI) and Rochester General Hospital (RGH), the only teaching hospital cancer program designated by the American College of Surgeons in Rochester, signed an affiliation agreement in August 2003. RGH is the home of the Dawn and Jacques Lipson M.D. Cancer Center.
Dawn & Jacques Lipson MD Cancer Center
Rochester General Hospital
1425 Portland Avenue Rochester, New York 14621
The affiliation provides exciting and dynamic opportunities to promote the academic and clinical missions of both institutions, thereby enhancing care for the patients at the Lipson Cancer Center. Activities include clinical trials already in process.
"For two health care organizations with such a rich history and tradition, this landmark agreement will pave the way for both parties to explore potential collaborative endeavors related to clinical, educational and research activities," said David C. Hohn, MD, RPCI President and Chief Executive Officer.
Sam Huston, President of RGH, observed, "I believe our two institutions share a vision for the future that will provide significant benefits to cancer patients as well as the next generation of cancer researchers and specialists." He added, "Our affiliation with Roswell Park will enable RGH to enhance its clinical expertise and will facilitate patient access to leading-edge clinical treatments and research protocols not currently available in our service area."
Joint educational and research activities focuse primarily on the education of fellows and residents; expanding faculty affiliations and access to clinical trials for Lipson Cancer Center patients are the key components.
- Faculty at RGH are authorized to offer their patients access to Roswell Park oncology clinical trials under the supervision and active participation of RPCI faculty and the Institutional Review Board.
- Exploration of potential collaborative clinical, educational and research activities in medical oncology, gynecologic oncology, radiation oncology, urologic oncology, hematology and others.
- Joint participation by the two institutions to obtain and enhance membership for RGH in the Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) and the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG). CALGB is a national clinical research group sponsored by the National Cancer Institute, and serves as a governing agency for certain cancer protocols. RTOG is a national cancer study research group and a governing body for clinical trials involving radiation therapy alone or in conjunction with surgery and/or chemotherapeutic drugs. RGH would join both organizations as an affiliate of RPCI, and Roswell Park would assist with the training and credentialing of RGH support staff.
- Opportunities for medical fellows who are participating in academic programs to request a rotation or rotations for training in hematology/oncology at Rochester General.
- Opportunities for RGH faculty who are participating in national and Roswell Park research activities to apply for faculty appointments at Roswell.
The affiliation is designed to enhance the delivery of health care in Upstate New York, and contribute significantly to our understanding of cancer through quality research and education. The affiliation creates an environment for our physicians, in a community based tertiary hospital setting, to enhance clinical excellence and offer the latest in breakthrough treatments to our patients.
Rochester General Hospital, home of the Lipson Cancer Center, is a 528-bed tertiary community-based hospital. It is part of ViaHealth, a family of health care providers that also includes ViaHealth of Wayne (Newark-Wayne Community Hospital and DeMay Living Center), a Behavioral Health Network, and Continuing Care Network which includes Independent Living for Seniors, and Hill Haven, ViaHealth Home Care and ViaHealth Home Care II.