Amphojel®, AlternaGEL® , Alu-Cap® , Alu-Tab®, Dialume®. There may be other brand names for this medication)
How is it Administered?
Aluminum hydroxide comes as a capsule, a tablet, and an oral liquid and suspension.
What is it Used For?
Aluminum hydroxide is used for the relief of heartburn, sour stomach, peptic ulcer pain, and to promote the healing of peptic ulcers.
What Should I Tell My Doctor Before I Begin Receiving Aluminum Hydroxide?
Tell your doctor if you:
- have had an allergic reaction to aluminum hydroxide or any other medications, foods, sulfites, preservatives, or dyes
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- if you are taking allopurinol (Zyloprim), alprazolam (Xanax), aspirin or aspirin products, chlordiazepoxide (Librium), clonazepam (Klonopin), clorazepate, diazepam (Valium), oxazepam (Serax), halazepam (Paxipam), lorazepam (Ativan),digoxin (Lanoxin), ethambutol (Myambutol), isoniazid (Laniazid), levothyroxine (Levothroid), products containing iron, pseudoephedrine and pseudoephedrine products, quinidine and quinidine products, tetracycline (Sumycin) , and vitamins
This drug may interact with other medications, increasing or decreasing their effectiveness or causing harmful side effects. Tell your doctor and pharmacist about any prescription or over-the- counter medications, vitamins, herbal or diet supplements that you are taking.
What Are Some Side Effects?
- Loss of appetite
How Can I Manage These?
- Increase your fluid and fiber intake if you are experiencing constipation.
- Consult your doctor before taking any laxative products.
When Should I Call the Doctor?
Call your doctor immediately if you experience:
- unusual tiredness
- discomfort or muscle weakness
What Else Should I Know About Aluminum Hydroxide?
- Aluminum hydroxide may interfere with other medicines, making them less effective. Take your other medications 1 hour before or 2 hours after aluminum hydroxide.
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
- Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed.