24 Hour Urine Collection
A 24-hour urine collection is an accumulation of the total amount of urine voided in a 24-hour period. This is an important test to determine how well the kidneys are functioning. It is important that all urine during the 24-hour period is collected or the results may be inaccurate.
- You will be given 2 large brown containers with an instruction sheet. If you are a female, you will also be given a white collection container which fits under the toilet seat to collect your urine. Urine is then poured into the large brown containers. Fill 1 brown container and then the 2nd one, if needed.
- To start the test, empty your bladder and discard the urine. You must begin this process with an empty bladder. Write down the time you emptied your bladder in the space provided and start counting 24 hours from that time. For example, if you started your collection at 8:00 am, you will finish your collection at 8:00 am the next day.
- Each time you void, the urine should be collected and stored in the large brown containers and kept at refrigerator temperature throughout the 24 hours. Remember to drink plenty of liquids (at least 8 glasses of water) during the 24 hour period, but do not drink tea and coffee, which act like natural water pills and will cause your body to pass more urine. If you leave your home during this time, you must take the container with you.
- When your 24 hours are up, you should empty your bladder one last time and add this to the collection container. This will complete your 24 hour urine collection process. Write down the time you finish your collection.
- Return the brown urine collection containers to the Roswell Park’s Phlebotomy Lab with:
- The form indicating the start and end times of your collection
- The laboratory order provided (called Computer Downtime Order Form)
You may need to get your blood drawn so ask the phlebotomist before you leave. The Phlebotomy Lab is located on the ground floor of the main hospital next to Registration (Patient Access). The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm.